At Deykin Avenue School, we believe that art and design is an important part of the children’s entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. We aim to foster an enjoyment and appreciation for art and design. It provides the children with opportunities to develop and extend skills and enables them to express their individual thoughts and ideas. Specific skills are revisited across the key stages, building on previous learning.
In KS1, children will:
- have opportunities to use a range of materials creatively and develop a wide range of art and design techniques
- learn about the work of a range of artists and designers, for example, Andy Warhol, Giuseppe Arcimboldi, Mike Jackson
- explore art from different countries including Mexico, Australia, Japan and Pakistan
In KS2, this will include:
- building upon previous skills, continuing to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials
- researching and exploring the work of famous artists, for example, Jackson Pollock, William Morris, Banksy etc.